Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The company you keep

I'll have a short review of David Horowitz's putrid and sophomoric (i.e. I'd ask for a serious rewrite if he were in my class, and not because of the ideas) The Professors later this week, but I'd like to make a point, consider how he lumps together disparate figures and equates their acts and ideas without any qualification. Horowitz's new book is published by Regnery, which you may recognize from the spines of other awful books. Horowitz's friends at Regnery include:

  • Bill Bennett, who recently unveiled the thought-experiment about reducing crime by aborting black babies
  • Ann Coulter, who last week declared to applause at a Republican convention, "I think our motto should be post-9-11, 'raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences.'"
  • Pat Buchanan, who supports wartime propaganda and once claimed homosexuality leads to "a decay of society and a collapse of its basic cinder block, the family" (ah, yes, that heart-warming cinder block I see every Christmas and keep in constant, intimate touch with)
  • Maggie Gallagher, who will gladly defend any Republican policies if given the proper paycheck and claims that "too many orthodox feminists have made of feminism a dogmatic religion," a claim she backs up with zero evidence (I'm sure she could find an anecdote, which would, of course, mean very little)
  • Laura Ingraham, who claims that “Terrorists, and their facilitators and friends, aren’t jealous at all. Like our own self-hating elites, they genuinely detest democracy and the principles enshrined in the constitution.
I'll add more later; for now, I'm got to go pray to my God, Hatemen, while lighting candles with the original parchment on which the Constitution was written. All the while thinking of my loving cinder block.

No comments: